Sunday, July 3, 2011

Research?


So I bumped into my gorgeous girlfriend the other night when we were out and about for "aperitifs" and of course one thing lead to another...before I knew it, it was 3am and we were topless dangling off the back of their boat. I say boat but know that yacht is the correct term to be used. I'm not really into boating. All I know is that it was far too large to have been docked in the quaint little port we found ourselves in and the french locals seemed none too impressed. Of course that could have also had something to do with the very loud music coming from the yacht and the fact that "His Royal Highness" (my hubby) kept peeing off the back. Yes, I was slightly embarassed but "HRH" is generally quite harmless...Except of course when he fell off the yacht, heaved himself up onto one of the wee wooden fishing boats nearby, cut his foot open, screamed- and then sadly managed to crack the fishing boat in half. I don't really know how he managed the last bit but yes, well...enough said about that. We did leave them a bottle of champers on the still floating half of the boat to make up for it.
Anyhow the topic of conversation of course lead onto our upcoming travels and I was more so embarassed about the fact that I knew shit all of nothing really, about Mumbai. I mean, of course I've been to India before...I did get married in a palace somewhere in Rajasthan you know. Well- so did Liz Hurley and Katy Perry so nothing special there. But I had never really lingered in Mumbai as such.
My girlfriends gorgeous husband had just gotten back from Mumbai on business raving about his favourite bar Aer. (Will have to give it a whirl myself!) After talking to him for a while I realised I was completely unaware of how India is likely to emerge from this decade as the second largest consumer market in the world, with a buying middle class numbering over half a BILLION...holy shit, yes I just said BILLION. It turns out "HRH" was actually onto something with this whole Indian project of ours. Thank god.
The Indian economy is already the fourth largest in terms of purchasing power parity in the world and in the top ten in overall gross national product. I learn't those last facts from my latest purchase (no not the new Fendi boots!) but my new book. "Being Indian" by P.K Varma. I thought I needed to do a little research on where I'm actually moving to. Most of my perceptions on India seem to be rather archaic these days. What about yours? But still...the disparity of wealth will be a tough one to cope with. How can you just walk past poverty without stopping to help in some way? I don't know if I could do that...well, we'll soon see I suppose. Surely "HRH" won't mind if we adopt some beautiful little babies without homes?
Anyway, I'm just going to settle down on my sun lounger and peruse the pages of Mr Varma's book...of course there's one last thing I need right now. A drink. Where did that waiter get to? Garcon..?


No comments:

Post a Comment