Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Golden ticket


Today I really wanted to go to a Bollywood movie... no seriously. I wanted to go to "Bodyguard" or "Mere brother ki Dulhan" to have a good laugh. But then I discovered there was nowhere in Mumbai showing Bollywood movies with english subtitles. I mean sure I could understand a good 60% of the movie with the hindi I have- but I'd need a bit of translation. I think that's a real shame that no movie theaters do subtitles. I'd probably go to a few of them if there were subtitles available. But it looks like I'll have to wait for the dvds.
While I'm on the topic of movie theatres I'd just like to take my hat off to PVR cinemas for allowing movies to be accessible to everyone in India. Today I paid 100 rupees about $2.15 USD to sit in the gold class section at the movies with cosy RECLINER seats and the option to order hot food and drinks from your seat. In Sydney we pay $25 for Gold Class and you certainly cannot order from your seat. You order at the counter and they will deliver. So you could take 12 people into the PVR Gold class section in Mumbai to see a movie for the same price as a single ticket in Gold Class in Australia. That's quite a big difference isn't it. Twelve times more expensive in Australia than it is in Mumbai to get exactly the same quality and service. Really makes you think how much money EVENT CINEMAS, or VILLAGE must be making? And how unfair it is that it can cost a family of four or five over $100 for a trip to the movies in the US, AUST, NZ or over 60 pound in the UK. I find it outrageous. There are alot of kids out there whose families just can't afford to take them to the cinema...which I find sad. All because of these big corporations greed the cinema is not accessible to all in the community.
PVR Cinemas Phoenix Mills Mumbai
The quality of the cinemas in India are exactly the same as in other countries, with beautiful recliner seats, just as clean and great surround sound with huge giant screens. The food available is the same as in other countries too with caesar salads, pizza, nachos, healthy wraps, cupcakes and even old fashioned ice cream sundaes...there's possibly more of a choice if anything. So what I want to know is how a country the size of the United States can justify those kinds of prices? I could understand if it was double the price in western countries but 12 x the price is just OTT. Anyway no big deal but I was just thinking...it's a little suspect in my humble opinion.
PVR Cinema Mulund Mumbai
The movie I went to see was "Bad Teacher" with J.T and Cameron Diaz. Pretty cheesey plot. Some funny moments but they weren't given by the lead actors. The red head nemesis was quite funny. The movie gets a 5/10 Queenie rating unfortunately. A really warm welcome to the readers from Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia and Indonesia...and especially our first readers from Russia too!
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment