Sunday, November 20, 2011

Start small. Really small if you have to...


What's happening to me? Where's my cocktail?
Sometimes you wonder what the meaning to all of this is? I mean we are here for such a brief moment in time in the scheme of things and yet we get so caught up with such silly insignificant things... Does the wallpaper match the floor tiles? Is my dress the right colour? Did I buy her an appropriate gift? Does my butt look too big? Will we get a bigger house? Does the vase match the coffee table? Seriously none of all this actually matters. But yet.... it seems so god damned important to us at the time. All of this I suppose we create around ourselves to entertain and fill up our time while we're here. But before what? Before the great big divide of nothingness envelops us? That... I just don't know and I don't suppose you do either. Hindu's certainly don't believe that. They believe in reincarnation. Which is a nice way to think about it I must agree. Christians believe in heaven. That paradise up there somewhere waiting to welcome the deserving. I wonder just exactly what I believe in? Well the jury's still out on that one darling. I'll put it in the same cupboard as "do I believe in Ghosts?" and "does the Yeti truly exist?" Or perhaps this should go in the "What the hell is India doing to me?" cupboard...
How could you not WANT to help?
On Friday I arrived horribly late to a meeting to discuss a foundation being run in Mumbai. The chairperson herself is a gorgeous lady who is passionate about revamping and creating more funding for the foundation which assists young mothers and their infants/toddlers. A very simple idea (that most of us take for granted in our own countries) of having a community based health care worker available to give advice on health, nutrition and early childhood education for women and their young children. The foundation needs to build awareness and define a distinct profile in Mumbai and abroad. This one centre has already had over 850 families pass through it's doors and have had some wonderful success stories but it needs help. The community rooms they use are very small, the one doctor who volunteers to give free health checks is over burdened and the "mommy and me" educative classes to teach young mothers about early education and the benefit of "play" for infants is tired-to say the least.
The smile is too much
My heart immeadiately began to beat a little faster when the discussion began. And two hours later I felt compelled to assist in any way I could . But perhaps to begin with- develop a functional programme for the educative classes, some more stimulating activities and inject a little energy and enthusiasm in training some of the volunteers. I really do believe in educating the next generation. It seems the only logical way forward. And education has to begin as an infant. Teaching the mothers themselves about nutrition so they can enable their babies to grow into healthy children- is crucial for India's advancement. Over 50% of India's 1.2 billion people are under the age of 25 years. An amazing statistic...they have a huge productive workforce on the rise. But...65% of that population needs to be helped to maintain good health, nutrition and be educated. It is a huge task that has to start somewhere. And lot's of small things build together to make something bigger. Step by step. The goal would be to open these centres in as many areas of need around Mumbai and then who knows? Perhaps further. So, this Tuesday you won't find me at Sancho's sipping on a cocktail (unfortunately though it does sound really good) but I will be down in the south visiting this centre. I'm pretty nervous about getting upset but also pretty damn excited to get involved. There's something about beautiful babies that just makes my heart melt. But it's the really sick ones that I worry about. And even though it's small steps to make a difference every little advancement HAS to help. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for reading again everyone. The amount of interest from you all in the U.S is just phenomenal and of course to you all in India I say THANK YOU.
Who wouldn't melt?
Queenie x

No comments:

Post a Comment