Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi everyone! This is our first time celebrating the Ganpati festival in India and we are very excited about it. Tomorrow it all kicks off here in Mumbai being the shukla chaturthi  the first day of the 11 day festival. Lord Ganesh (our favourite hindu god ) is the son of Shiva and Parvati (gorgeous name huh?) and known as the god of good fortune, new beginnings and remover of obstacles. This festival celebrates his birthday and it is believed he bestows blessings on his devotees during this time. Months in advance people begin crafting huge statues that are intricately decorated which are then placed in temples or holy areas to be worshipped during the 11 days. At the end of the festival there are huge processions through the streets of Mumbai where the statues are paraded and carried to the waters edge. It could be a river, lake or the ocean. The Ganesha's are then immersed in water. The streets are filled with people dancing, singing and celebrating. Woohoo can't wait. We've also been invited to join in with some of our friends family pooja's and partake in the festivities. Can't wait to learn some hindu traditions. I just can not believe how welcoming everyone has been in India thus far. I am blown away to be honest. People here are so social and open, warm and giving. Rich or poor- everyone opens their home to you and invites you in to share a meal with them. There's something pretty special about sharing a meal with someone in their own home. It's rather french dare I say it!
Ganpati statues immersed in Mumbai
Today I joined several organisations here in Mumbai and met so many other lovely expats. There is so much to do here if you're interested. I'm going to start yoga, hindi and might even check out this hilarious new gym class called bollywood groove. Like a gym workout incorporating bollywood dance moves! Haha. Who knows? Why not...I spose. Be a good laugh if not anything else...
Also thinking about joining Waterstones club...it's stunning. But just worried it might be too much of drive in rush hour. Still haven't decided on that one yet. They have a great bar...which is a good starting point in my books. And three fabulous sunken infinity edge pools...spoilt. I hear the pool boys aren't half bad either! Hmmm surely the traffic won't be too mad? Who am I kidding tho??? Right, I'm off to shower after a long day out and about in Juhu. Had a really great day today. Feel like I'm walking on cloud nine just thinking that we could be moving into the apartment this weekend. Very very excited. C'est des super bonnes nouvelles...aah ca me tardes de demenager!
A big welcome to all you new readers from the Czech republic, Indonesia and the Ukraine... it still surprises me how many of you are reading. Merci beaucoup. Over three and a half thousand a week now!
So enjoy your Ganpati festivities all my hindu friends...and be nice to elephants this week if you don't have any Ganesh statues lying around the house. Might just bring you some good luck. I know I'll be wearing my Ganesh medallion around my neck all week. Just in case...

Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment