Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Street cred

Pani puri...mmmmmm
So I'm going well- at least I think I am? I mean, I did actually go to the gym yesterday (which was a struggle admittedly)  and I was very proud of myself for not having any vino with dinner last night. Sooooo...That meant that I could head out with the girls today to feast on delicious street food...yes you heard me right everyone. You can eat the street food in Mumbai and before you ask- no you won't get sick. (They use mineral water btw.) Anyway I just want to say that you haven't lived till you actually eat the street food here. For one, it's god darned delicious and secondly what a fun experience to share with others.
The five of us rocked up to "Punjabs" sweet and street store in Pali Hill. I had about six "pani puri" (OMG freakin delicious!) which are crispy hard puri that have been puffed up and then filled with chick peas and spicey water. Sounds bizarre but you have to taste it to believe me!
You stand at the little bar and order as you go. People chat and eat and watch it all being made before them...it's so vibrant and alive and buzzing. Next we ordered some "aloo chat" which were crispy little hard puri (about the size of a cracker) with small dices of potatoes and chilli and coriander with a light drizzle of chutney. They were so addictive, so light, so tasty. Mmmmmm.
It was such a laugh sharing food together on the side walk, trying not to spill it on ourselves, having a good gossip and watching all the locals smirk at us. We were hysterical I tell you. After the aloo chat I ordered a serving of "sev puri"- and I am seriously drooling right now just thinking about them. Sev puri are cracker style (canape size) puri with potatoes, crispy onion, chilli, coriander and drizzled with fresh natural yoghurt. They are the most ridiculously decadent appetisers. Quite honestly... "Stop the Bus" delicious. Then- as you ventured further into the store off the side walk you were surrounded by hundreds of different types of sweets. I nearly caved in and bought a box of vanilla barfi...bloody wish I had to be perfectly honest.
Sev Puri OMG
So after all that eating and laughing we managed to pile into the "Minx's" car (yes I think I have just introduced you to a new character...I'm going to call her the Minx- she's fab and has a diamond the size of everest on her finger but more about her later) so we headed off to peruse some Pali Hill clothing stores. Well we didn't get far before we had an incident. I'm still laughing now. Sorry but I really can't help myself. Ok where was I? Oh right, so "Sexy Sporto" (yes that's ANOTHER new character I might just call her "SS" she's a wee pocket rocket if you ask me!) okay so "SS" picked up a lovely wee white frock and asked the shop assistant where to try it on...the shop assistant then said that there was to be no trying on of the clothing.  "SS" who is rather fond of defending her cause (so am I if the truth be told) started to look around incredulously. "SS" then smiled and announced she would be smarter then the a-v-e-r-a-g-e bear and whip the dress on  over her clothes. The rather "rotund" shop owner cleared her throat and then said that was also not allowed madam!
THANK GOD FOR SPANX HUH?
Well the two ladies nearly got into a fisty cuffs right there while the rest of us sniggered in the background. "SS" held the dress threateningly up over her head and said she was trying it on and come and stop me if you dare. Everyone held their breath as the chubby store owner moved to get out of her seat to stop "SS" and watched in agony as she got her left foot caught on her handbag, she lurched forward spilling her masala tea all over the desk, then in slow motion she slid off the side of it landing ass up in the middle of the store revealing her very tight beige coloured spanx much to her (and probably more so to OUR) horror. She looked up and uttered the words "GET OUT NOW" with her hair partially covering one side of her very reddened face. "SS", Minx, the rest of the girls along with myself trotted meekly out the door barely containing our laughter. Oh my god I couldn't believe how hard we all laughed...so hard we all ended up needing a beverage to cool our insides. So the next stop was "Sancho's" for a much needed watermelon margherita....aaah. And that felt good.
Till next time- Queenie

3 comments:

  1. I only just tasted Indian Food for the very first time on Monday! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Street Food Experience sounds a one to try! And Indian food is sooooooo good I would do this often if I was in Mumbai.
    I see Life is going well - Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! You all have to try the street food in India! Contrary to belief you will not get sick if you know where to go!!!! What an experience! Thanks for reading ladies!!!!

    ReplyDelete