Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Bollywood Effect



I'll have a spicey mojito thanks...
Piggy Chops performing a sexy number
Greetings my friends, I write to you this evening sitting on the sofa whilst watching the 57th Filmfare awards on the small screen. Bebo (Kareena Kapoor) is currently flying around the stage like something off a Cirque du soleil show and SRK (Shah Rukh Khan- India's Tom Cruise equivalent) is dressed in drag as he hands out awards. Just another day at the office for our favourite Bollywood royalty folks. The hilarious part is that it actually seems to be doing the trick for this Queen. Yes me. I am totally buying into the whole event. WTF??? I know all the songs, all the movies, all the nominated actors and even the music directors. I even know all the behind the scenes drama and gossip. Like who is rumored to be having an affair with who, who's sister is who (and there's a bloody few!!!) and who doesn't like each other in the industry. Yup I am neck deep in it. I decided to join the movement rather than fight it. And it has surprisingly enough been quite fun. I love the songs, and stars and movies. I know...I know. It's Bollywood. But...I think it's too late for me now. I've been lost to the other side. There's no coming back from this one.
While I was away in France I had an inkling that something wasn't right.Yes I actually suffered from reverse culture shock. I missed India like a baby misses it's thumb. I was bereft without the colour, bling, over the top dance moves and even missed the Mumbai traffic. Don't ask what has happened to me it's the India effect.Once I realised what was happening to me when I was away in France it all made sense and I just gave in and accepted that I was homesick for India.
Karisma, SRK, Bebo, Vidya, Rekha and Ranbir Kapoor dance
You know I think it's important to partake in the traditions and pop cultural trends and be aware of current events when you try to move to a new country. How else can you have anything to relate to with locals. I'm telling you that knowing the words to the latest Bollywood hits have come in very handy and definetly won me brownie points. I have definetly popped the expat bubble that I arrived with six months ago. And it feels bloody good. I feel changed. Affected by my last six months of life here in the mother land. I suppose you have to want that...otherwise you could just as easily maintain your thoughts, tastes and opinions of afar and live here perfectly well. There's no right or wrong either. I suspect I have just allowed myself to evolve (possibly even been excited by it!) and let it take me wherever it leads.
My fave Vidya winning best actress for "The Dirty Picture"
Well I'm off now. The ad break (which lasts an entire 8 minutes in India) is nearly over and I don't want to miss any of the awards show. I am suspecting Vidya Balan will clean up again for "The Dirty Picture"...here's hoping. Plus I've poured myself a chardonnay. Priorities darlings ;-)
Thanks for your continued interest. I've been out cold for several days with the flu- post france etc. Hence the  lack of updates but I really thought I would spare you the gory details of all that nasty business.
Talk soon. Queenie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment